Sunday, September 30, 2007

So what AM I doing right now?

Well, Henny Penny, there really isn't anything new to report right now, unfortunately. The few times I've been back in Peoria recently have not netted anything worth writing about, because my visits have been quick, like hours long. Way too busy down here in Macomb.

Doing what, you say?

Well, lemme tell ya. Between school (right now I'm down to 44 papers I have to write before the end of the semester), raising up the baby, and other extracurricular activities, the weekends are filled with the wife working, thus keeping me mostly here.

What extracurricular activities, you say?

Well, lemme tell ya. Down here at WIU, we are having an absolute grandiose Mock Presidential Election. We're talking candidates showing up on campus, local and national news coverage, and some high profile keynote speakers (I know who they are, but I can't say anything yet). I have no less than three positions in this event--part of the Pi Sigma Alpha (political science honor society) coordination staff which essentially runs the guts of the event; as a peer mentor who has to make sure my group of freshmen get their butts over to the event, and most importantly to me, I am the Campaign Director of the Biden for President campaign for the election. I have made many contacts with Senator Biden's election staff, and due to the fact that we are so close to Iowa here, and this school has plenty of Iowan students, I am receiving many offers of help and support, from giving my campaign staff signage and literature to having some Iowa state senators or congresspersons come over and talk or participate in debates.

So, all this leads to me not having a great deal of time back home in Peoria. Of course I can blame it all on the wife and her goofy work schedule, but it's my goofy school schedule that is really the problem. God bless her and her schedule maker at work for working around MY schedule!!

Additionally, I have a career fair on campus next Tuesday (the 2nd). Wish me luck, hopefully I can catch the eye of some lucky employer who sees just what a wonderful asset I would be to their company!! Come on, employers!! 3.714 GPA here!! Management and organizational experience!! Not just a good, but a s00per-d00per writer!!!

Restaurant-wise, one notable place I checked out on one of my minutes in Peoria was the Irish place over there in Morton. O'Flahertys? That the name? Good food, slowish service. It riled up the womenfolk I was with, but I'm pretty laid back, and I was absolutely bone-tired, so it didn't get to me as much. I am definitely going to go back there and try it again.

I'm not sure if Peoria gets any commercials for the burger place called Red Robin, of which there is one in Davenport. I see the ads down here all the time, and when I learned that they were as close as the QC, we stopped by there last Friday when me and the family did some shopping and visited the Biden field office. What a cool place! Very franchisey-decor style, but cool menus, fun burgers, and bottomless steak fries! I want to see Red Robin come to Peoria.

I'm not anti-franchise. I know there are some people who would rather go with the local product, and I would too, if I got right down to it. But there are franchises that are worth the while to visit, and I wouldn't write off a place just because they open a restaurant in Peoria that looks exactly like the one in Alberquerque, NM. Someone worked hard to begin that chain, and sometimes a franchise restaurant is the product of a person who worked hard to save up for the franchise and got it up and running. Human agency went into it, and I will be happy to reward whoever gives me what I want.

But for all intents and purposes, give me the family restaurant owned by the guy who has been a Peoria resident for most of his life and actually has HIS family working for it!!

For whoever still visits here looking for new posts, thanks a lot. Once everything slows down a bit, I will begin to eat at places again. Plus, I only have less than three months until we move back to Peoria, and by then I'll have a s00per-d00per job that will allow me to afford to dine out!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to read a post from you! I am so excited to here that the election stuff is going so well. I think it will be very interesting to see what happens.

mama simone said...

Good luck with your job fair. I just know there is an employer out there looking for an employee just like you since you are "one of a kind" (thank goodness!!) I just hope their company is in or near Peoria.

It will be interesting to see who show up at the election and what type media coverage you receive. Good look with this too. Know you will do good because you can talk your way out of, or into, just about anything.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are busy. I'm amazed you have any time to blog at all.
Good luck with the papers, the campaign work, and the job fair...

Fraochán said...

WIU career fair. *sigh* I remember those days. Perhaps I will swing by to see if anyone interests me! The few times I went it didn't blow my skirt up....I felt it was geared toward those in undergraduate school...which didn't help me much. Have a fun time. :)